In my interview over at Design Mom, I talked about wanting to trade rooms with the boys. The master bedroom is a lot bigger than the first bedroom and it just made the most sense for us. So in December of last year, we finally did! Toys still mange to find their way into the shared living space, but not quite as often and it’s nice to be able to walk through the house without tripping every couple of steps.
Since their last room was only shared under heavy supervision, we’ve had to make some changes to make the room more safe for Søren to be able to play and explore on his own:
- Shelf has become 2 levels instead of 3 due to climbing issues.
- Bunk bed ladder lost it’s bottom step, will return in a few years.
- Polar bear rocker is temporarily evacuated until Søren is bigger.
- Bunk bed reconfigured and pushed up against a wall.
- All toys cleaned out and sorted to be safe for the near 2 year old.
- R2D2 is not left unsupervised for long periods of time.
- Hacked ikea dressers inside closet, closed away when not in use.
At night we baby gate the doorway so that Søren can’t roam the house if he wakes and is quiet, and when I shower I move the baby gate to the master bathroom door so he can play while I get ready and I can hear and see him as well. It sure is a lot easier than trying to lock him into a crib! He also thinks that it’s really cool for him to sleep in the same bed as brother and has been sleeping in his bed alone for the most part for the last couple of months.
I don’t have a large wishlist for this room. I feel like it’s complete spare a couple of DIY pillow projects that I want to do, but there are a few little changes I’d love to make: