After last week’s post about cleaning out my closet, you might be wondering if there is anything left for me to wear. I guarantee there is a hefty amount of clothing and shoes left for me to choose from. I started with around 128 items and downsized by about half, leaving me around 60 items total. I thought it would be fun since I make so many packing lists and other capsules to share what exactly made the cut.
Not only did I learn a lot about the process of cleaning out a closet, I learned a lot about my preferences and favorites. I also learned I might want to keep something I haven’t worn in over a year because it brings me joy to touch it. I have a few items on the list that I am currently giving a chance for me to wear again, and if they aren’t worn in my slimmer closet, they’re going to go as well.
I have a lot of different kinds of tops, so I feel like this part of my list looks… large. It started with 30, so where it’s at now is a considerably smaller number. I do own two white t-shirts, but one is cotton and one is silk and a much more oversized cut. In reality, I am giving a couple of the other shirts a little chance to be worn more often, but I doubt they’ll last. I should probably just let them go now and save them the pain. I also think my poor grey v-neck tee is on the verge of being worn out. It may or may not have a few holes in it, and I don’t think that part of the 90’s returned.
- T By Alexander Wang Striped Linen Tank Top* (sold out, similar)
- Babaton Murphy Blouse
- Everlane Grey Silk Camisole
- Cuyana Black Silk Cami
- Cuyana Black V-Neck Tee (similar by Zady)
- T by Alexander Wang Grey V-Neck Tee (similar by Madewell)
- Acne Studios Bliss C Tee
- Cuyana Silk Tee in White
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Satin Silk Tee
- Heidi Merrick Drake Striped Top
- Hope Lova Blouse in White (similar by Equipment)
- Lou & Grey Popover Chambray Shirt Tunic (sold out, similar by J.Crew)
- Steven Alan Oversized Stand Collar Silk Blouse in Pink* (sold out, similar by Everlane)
- Cuyana Dolman Silk Shirt (similar by Equipment)
Sweaters & Sweatshirts
Considering I absolutely love sweaters, I started with 11. I feel like I got this down to an amazingly low number. The truth is that I really only wear a few of them and fall in love with others simply for their color or softness. These are the ones I truly love and wear all the time. I feel pretty settled with these, but I would really love a nice oversize one like this one from Acne Studios.
- Tiger of Sweden Wool & Linen Sweater (similar by Joie)
- Madewell Just Right Sweater (sold out, similar Madewell Eastbank Sweater)
- Cuyana Classic Alpaca Cape
I feel like dresses are one of my wardrobe favorites. I had 18 to begin with, and still I own quite a few although they are all very different. I’m still contemplating whether I want to keep or donate a couple of these, and I am for sure on the search for a perfect v-neck sweater dress in the right fabric, fit, and color.
- Black Crane Painters Dress in Putty*
- Cuyana Silk Tee Dress in Grey
- T by Alexander Wang Jersey Dress in Black*
- Cos Black Dual Material Dress
- Asos Black Midi Dress
- Acne White Shirtdress*
- Emerson Fry Black Silk Mock Neck Dress (similar by A.P.C.)
- Everlane Oversized Shirt Dress
- Cuyana Long Black Maxi Dress
- J.Crew Black Silk Tank Dress
- Monteau Black Striped Tee Maxi*
- Lou & Grey Heather Charcoal Supersoft Maxi Dress*
I am really happy with this portion of my list, though I do feel I could do with less jeans. I had 23 before, and have narrowed it down considerably. I really want a basic black pencil skirt, but I haven’t found one I like yet. I’m also not sure that I actually need one so I’ll keep ignoring it until it’s kismet.
- J.Crew Pull On Boardwalk Shorts in Ivory
- Lou & Grey Boyfriend Denim Shorts (similar by Current/Elliot)
- Lou & Grey Silky Black Shorts (similar by Equipment)
- Lou & Grey Slouchy Skinny Denim in Cream
- Emerson Fry Grey Skinny Denim (sold out, similar by J.Crew)
- J.Crew Toothpick Jean in Olive
- AG Jeans Stevie Medium Denim (looser fit)
- AG Jeans Stevie Dark Rinse Denim
- Acne Studios Black Flex Skinny Jeans
- Aritzia Daria “Leather look” leggings *
- Aritzia Babaton Black Cropped Slack Style Pants
I’m really happy with the final number here, especially since I had 11 to start with. Each piece of outerwear is very different from another and serves a different type of look and warmth. It makes it easier for travel to know that I don’t need to shop for any type of climate I might visit last-minute. I could probably give up one of the wool coats, but they each have a very different look.
- Zara Basic Black Blazer (sold out, similar at H&M)
- Black Leather Jacket (sold out, similar at Nordstrom)
- Single Breasted Trench Coat (sold out, similar at Nordstrom & LaGarconne)
- Steven Alan Drop-Tail Military Parka (sold out, similar by Everlane)
- J.Crew Stadium-Cloth Coat
- H&M Conscious Wool Sweater Coat
- Spiewak Aviation Eskimo Parka (worn in Iceland)
Shoes are my jam, I had 35 to start with (yikes!). They’re almost all black, which I guess is natural given that it’s my favorite color to wear. I’m amazed I was able to narrow them down at all, this process was the hardest for me and I’m sure I could still narrow even more if I absolutely needed to. I really would love a basic nude single strap high heel.
- Black & Brown New Balance
- Black Nike Free RN
- Loeffler Randall Booties
- Alexander Wang Gabi Cutout Boots
- Loeffler Randall Leopard Rain Booties
- Hunter Tall Packable Rain Boots*
- Michael Kors Split Pumps
- Michael Kors Strappy Black Heels
- Everlane Modern Point Flats
- Emerson Fry Split Loafer
- Soludos Smoking Slippers
- J.Crew Gladiator Lace Up Sandals (sold out, similar by Madewell)
- Kate Spade Saturday Basic Black Sandals (sold out, similar by Everlane)
- Vince Calista Huarache Sandals (sold out, similar by )
- Everlane Nude Slide Sandals*
- Melissa Women’s Sauce Sandals
So as you can see, there is still quite a lot of clothing. I learned that my favorite clothing items are shoes, dresses, and denim. Seems like I may not be a purse girl, as I now own all of 4 (dark tote, light reversible tote, convertible clutch, and a lightweight black backpack).