Every month my son’s school has “Birthday Party” for all of the kids whose birthdays fall within that month. Also parents volunteer/sign up to bring different things for the parties. I usually volunteer for the cake/cupcakes/sweet thing part of it. I made some rainbow cupcakes and the kids really loved them.
- Cake mix (I used white)
- Funfetti Frosting (Or vanilla and some sprinkles)
- Food Coloring
- Cupcake Liners
- 5 small bowls / coffee cups / soup bowls
- 5 spoons
- Whatever else you’ll need to make the boxed cake mix.
1. Prepare the cake mix as directed and divide equal amounts into the five bowls/cups/whatever you used.
2. Add food coloring to each bowl. I used the colors of my sprinkles to determine the colors of my cake batter. I put in blue, green, yellow, red, and orange (red + yellow makes orange).
3. Put the liners in your cupcake pan.
4. For best color results, use the guide ROYGBIV (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet) in reverse to add the batter to the cupcake liners. For instance I added blue, green, yellow, orange, and red in that order. You only need to add a small spoon of it because a) it will expand and b) you’re only supposed to fill the liner half full at the most. It is really fun to layer them though, so don’t let yourself get out of hand or you’ll have massively tall and perhaps abstractly proportioned cupcakes.
5. Bake and let cool.
6. Frost & sprinkle! Enjoy!
it very good and easy, I will try to do it
it very good, I will try to do it, thank you very much
This is amazing! I am going to do this!
These look fabulous! My daughter asked for rainbow cupcakes to bring to school, I am so glad I found this post with your idea. Thank you!
OMG! I am doing this later this week for my friend/manager’s bday! She will LOVE it!
O… M… G… I’m going to do this soon!!!
Um, hello? Very yum? So good? So awesome?
Holy frig! This is way cool jess! I love it! I never thought to put food colouring in the cake mixxxxxxxxxxxxxx……ahhh! You’re such a cool (and creative) Mom!
This is a great idea..very pretty..I’ll have to try this in the coming weeks.
i’m so going to do this!