I feel like I have a million house projects going on right now, and many rooms that I still need to finish, but lately we’ve had a lot of trouble with our dining room situation. So why not work on a dining room update while we’re at it? Since replacing the media console in the living room with a mid-century style credenza, it’s been a little bit of a mess to figure out where everything would go.
We don’t have a lot of stuff, but need a space to house our favorite books and ones the kids read often. In my Spring decorating post I talked about this cabinet, but after much deliberation I think it would feel too heavy in the room so I opted for some thinner Vittsjö shelving units from IKEA.
Enter, my plan. Some items are new, and some are in our current dining room.
1. Serena & Lily Hanging Rattan Chair / I’ve always loved the idea of a hanging chair in our home because of the exposed beam work. This one has a natural and refined look that I really love. I also like that since it doesn’t have a footprint, it doesn’t make the room feel smaller. I imagine myself or the kids curled up reading a book in it.
2. H&M Large Glass Vase / A long time ago I created a terrarium from a vintage glass bowl / globe my great-grandmother gave me. Sadly a few days later my youngest son, Søren, pulled it off of the credenza and shattered it everywhere. I still miss it and would love to create another terrarium to add to the open shelving and books. I have faith that he will leave the next one alone.
3. Giant White Bird of Paradise Plant / This type of bird of paradise can grow quite large. I’ve seen enormous ones at the Santa Barbara courthouse, and at our hotel in Maui. I have one that I’ve been babying and plan to bring inside where I think it will do better.
4. Stokke Tripp Trapp / These chairs are a godsend. I’ve had one since Aiden was much younger and included them in my minimalist baby essentials post. We have two white ones and they’re so versatile that they can go from baby to adulthood.
5. Velvet Cushion Cover / I don’t know why I’m so drawn to velvet cushion covers. I love the lux feel and texture they add to a space. This one was also on my Spring list, but I think I had this space in mind when I chose it.
6. Eames Dowel Leg Side Chair / These are an effortlessly chic, and I really enjoy the comfort and ease of ours. They’re practical in that they are easy to wipe down and have managed to be timeless in my constant state of redecorating.
7. Zest Knit Throw in Grey / I’ve been on the hunt for higher quality blankets lately, and this one is organic and seems cozy enough to hang out in the hanging chair. I also have a huge lust for blankets from Coyuchi, they’re beautiful!
8. Lexmod Eero Saarinen Style Table / The original version of this table is a touch out of our budget, but this copycat one has served us well for quite a few years now. I will probably hold onto it until we can afford the real deal.
9. Ikea Vittsjö Shelf / These shelves have always been in the back of my mind as something that I liked, but never had a place for. Now, I do! They were very simple to put together and easy to secure. I thought about painting them a glossy charcoal grey color, but I kind of like them dark. I’m having a hard time styling them well. Any ideas?
I can’t wait to share the finished room with you, as I imagine it will be a space I can’t wait to spend more time in. The boys have already been enjoying all of the books in the shelving units.
Are you doing any redecorating right now? I’d love to hear!
[…] the time that I said I have a plan for our dining room? And then I even took the time to style the new shelves? Today it is finally time to share the tour […]
[…] part of my dining room update, I added a few Ikea Vittsjö shelves to the main wall for storage and to help ground the space. Up […]
I LOVE that hanging chair!
I love the hanging Rattan Chair…I wanted to put one in my new house but I was so worried that someone would sit in it and it would break!
A hanging chair would be such a cool addition! I love the other chairs you picked out too!
Fizz and Frosting