If you love this post, be sure to check out the updated version here!
After last week’s post about cleaning out my closet, you might be wondering if there is anything left for me to wear. I guarantee there is a hefty amount of clothing and shoes left for me to choose from. I started with around 128 items and downsized by about half, leaving me around 60 items total. I thought it would be fun since I make so many packing lists and other capsules to share what exactly made the cut.
Not only did I learn a lot about the process of cleaning out a closet, I learned a lot about my preferences and favorites. I also learned I might want to keep something I haven’t worn in over a year because it brings me joy to touch it. I have a few items on the list that I am currently giving a chance for me to wear again, and if they aren’t worn in my slimmer closet, they’re going to go as well.
I have a lot of different kinds of tops, so I feel like this part of my list looks… large. It started with 30, so where it’s at now is a considerably smaller number. I do own two white t-shirts, but one is cotton and one is silk and a much more oversized cut. In reality, I am giving a couple of the other shirts a little chance to be worn more often, but I doubt they’ll last. I should probably just let them go now and save them the pain. I also think my poor grey v-neck tee is on the verge of being worn out. It may or may not have a few holes in it, and I don’t think that part of the 90’s returned.
- T By Alexander Wang Striped Linen Tank Top* (sold out, similar)
- Babaton Murphy Blouse
- Everlane Grey Silk Camisole
- Cuyana Black Silk Cami
- Cuyana Black V-Neck Tee (similar by Zady)
- T by Alexander Wang Grey V-Neck Tee (similar by Madewell)
- Acne Studios Bliss C Tee
- Cuyana Silk Tee in White
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Satin Silk Tee
- Heidi Merrick Drake Striped Top
- Hope Lova Blouse in White (similar by Equipment)
- Lou & Grey Popover Chambray Shirt Tunic (sold out, similar by J.Crew)
- Steven Alan Oversized Stand Collar Silk Blouse in Pink* (sold out, similar by Everlane)
- Cuyana Dolman Silk Shirt (similar by Equipment)
Sweaters & Sweatshirts
Considering I absolutely love sweaters, I started with 11. I feel like I got this down to an amazingly low number. The truth is that I really only wear a few of them and fall in love with others simply for their color or softness. These are the ones I truly love and wear all the time. I feel pretty settled with these, but I would really love a nice oversize one like this one from Acne Studios.
- Tiger of Sweden Wool & Linen Sweater (similar by Joie)
- Madewell Just Right Sweater (sold out, similar Madewell Eastbank Sweater)
- Cuyana Classic Alpaca Cape
I feel like dresses are one of my wardrobe favorites. I had 18 to begin with, and still I own quite a few although they are all very different. I’m still contemplating whether I want to keep or donate a couple of these, and I am for sure on the search for a perfect v-neck sweater dress in the right fabric, fit, and color.
- Black Crane Painters Dress in Putty*
- Cuyana Silk Tee Dress in Grey
- T by Alexander Wang Jersey Dress in Black*
- Cos Black Dual Material Dress
- Asos Black Midi Dress
- Acne White Shirtdress*
- Emerson Fry Black Silk Mock Neck Dress (similar by A.P.C.)
- Everlane Oversized Shirt Dress
- Cuyana Long Black Maxi Dress
- J.Crew Black Silk Tank Dress
- Monteau Black Striped Tee Maxi*
- Lou & Grey Heather Charcoal Supersoft Maxi Dress*
I am really happy with this portion of my list, though I do feel I could do with less jeans. I had 23 before, and have narrowed it down considerably. I really want a basic black pencil skirt, but I haven’t found one I like yet. I’m also not sure that I actually need one so I’ll keep ignoring it until it’s kismet.
- J.Crew Pull On Boardwalk Shorts in Ivory
- Lou & Grey Boyfriend Denim Shorts (similar by Current/Elliot)
- Lou & Grey Silky Black Shorts (similar by Equipment)
- Lou & Grey Slouchy Skinny Denim in Cream
- Emerson Fry Grey Skinny Denim (sold out, similar by J.Crew)
- J.Crew Toothpick Jean in Olive
- AG Jeans Stevie Medium Denim (looser fit)
- AG Jeans Stevie Dark Rinse Denim
- Acne Studios Black Flex Skinny Jeans
- Aritzia Daria “Leather look” leggings *
- Aritzia Babaton Black Cropped Slack Style Pants
I’m really happy with the final number here, especially since I had 11 to start with. Each piece of outerwear is very different from another and serves a different type of look and warmth. It makes it easier for travel to know that I don’t need to shop for any type of climate I might visit last-minute. I could probably give up one of the wool coats, but they each have a very different look.
- Zara Basic Black Blazer (sold out, similar at H&M)
- Black Leather Jacket (sold out, similar at Nordstrom)
- Single Breasted Trench Coat (sold out, similar at Nordstrom & LaGarconne)
- Steven Alan Drop-Tail Military Parka (sold out, similar by Everlane)
- J.Crew Stadium-Cloth Coat
- H&M Conscious Wool Sweater Coat
- Spiewak Aviation Eskimo Parka (worn in Iceland)
Shoes are my jam, I had 35 to start with (yikes!). They’re almost all black, which I guess is natural given that it’s my favorite color to wear. I’m amazed I was able to narrow them down at all, this process was the hardest for me and I’m sure I could still narrow even more if I absolutely needed to. I really would love a basic nude single strap high heel.
- Black & Brown New Balance
- Black Nike Free RN
- Loeffler Randall Booties
- Alexander Wang Gabi Cutout Boots
- Loeffler Randall Leopard Rain Booties
- Hunter Tall Packable Rain Boots*
- Michael Kors Split Pumps
- Michael Kors Strappy Black Heels
- Everlane Modern Point Flats
- Emerson Fry Split Loafer
- Soludos Smoking Slippers
- J.Crew Gladiator Lace Up Sandals (sold out, similar by Madewell)
- Kate Spade Saturday Basic Black Sandals (sold out, similar by Everlane)
- Vince Calista Huarache Sandals (sold out, similar by )
- Everlane Nude Slide Sandals*
- Melissa Women’s Sauce Sandals
So as you can see, there is still quite a lot of clothing. I learned that my favorite clothing items are shoes, dresses, and denim. Seems like I may not be a purse girl, as I now own all of 4 (dark tote, light reversible tote, convertible clutch, and a lightweight black backpack).